With a new baby just arrived and a three year old already keeping me extremely busy, I was determined to find the best baby carrier available to help me keep my sanity over the next 2 years. With my first baby I tried various different slings and baby carriers, but I was still not entirely happy. I LOVE baby wearing, but it has it’s challenges, and I really wanted to see if I could find a product that would address them:
- Firstly, you will of course want your little one to be as comfortable as possible, and I often found that my daughter was soaked with sweat after being in the baby carrier or sling and being bound to my body, especially in the hotter months of the year.
- Secondly, there is nothing more frustrating that your little one dropping off in your carrier and then being unable to put her (or him) down without waking her up.
- and Thirdly, after being pregnant and having your stomach muscles stretched beyond recognition, your milk arrive, and possibly have a caesarian to recover from (like I did) your body’s strength and balance needs a while to recover. The chances are you will probably be battling with back pain of some sort. (I still am!) I found the slings made me completely unbalanced and strained the muscles on one side of my body and the baby carriers made my shoulders and back ache incredibly.
BABYBJÖRN baby carrier
So on with the hunt for the wonder carrier!!! I had been eyeing out the BABYBJÖRN baby carrier ever since my first child, but never got around to trying that particular system. This was my chance. The new model – the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy was what I went for, as it answered all the specific challenges I had faced:
- it is made of a new fancy techie mesh fabric that really breathes well, and your baby will be MUCH cooler that with a conventional non-breathable fabric
- it has a superb two-piece design that allows you to put your baby down when she (or he) drops off – BLISS!! It also is really easy to put your baby in the carrier by yourself, without needing any help.
- and for Mums – improved back support!! Yay!!! Though there is a but to this point… But I will get to that in a minute.
I really thought I had done it, found the perfect baby carrier for me!! Well… not so fast Mum… Ho hum… The BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy was without a doubt the best baby carrier I had owned yet, my baby absolutely loved it, facing either in or out, and it was cooler and the two-piece design worked really well, I could put it on with no help and I could take my baby out without waking her (well not every time, but an 80% improvement!) My back was much better with the added support…. But, as she got bigger, around 5 months my back started to take strain again, and I would battle to have her in the BABYBJÖRN for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. I loved the baby wearing, and so did she, so I was loathe to just give it up, it was also so convenient for getting stuff done, as I could just carry on with her coming along. Would I recommend the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy…? ABSOLUTELY, it is by far the best baby carrier I have had to date and answers all my previous challenges, but you will probably only be able to use it really comfortably until your baby is weighs about 20 pounds (about 9kg) or around 5 months, depending on the strength of your back. (the specs say up to 26 pounds, or around 12kg)
So back to the drawing board.. What next… Well very obviously the problem was in the weight-bearing system. Anyone who has ever carried anything on their back will know that you need to be bearing the weight on your hips, not your back and your shoulders. Lots of the baby carriers do try to spread the load on your body supporting the baby not only with your shoulders, generally they have a strap that also gives support around your body, but this system still only uses your back to carry the weight, and what we are ultimately looking for is to transfer as much of the weight as possible to our hips. So after a lot more research….I don’t know why I did not find it before… Actually come to think of it I did not really do much extra research before buying the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy as I thought I had all the answers and knew what I wanted… As I was saying…I discovered the Ergo Baby Carrier…. which carries all your baby’s weight, yes you guessed it.. on your hips… HALLELUJAH!!!!!
Ergo Baby Carrier
As I am sure most of you know, having a baby is expensive, I don’t even want to start adding up how much have spent on baby carriers at this point, but hopefully this will be the last one. Some things you get right first time, and others it seems you are doomed to try at least half a dozen times until you find what is right for your baby.
- The Ergo has absolutely answered all the back problems that I was suffering with and I am sure will do absolutely the same for you. My baby settled into it in a flash, but do remember she was then 5 months old, so already really good at holding her head up. I can walk for an hour (I am sure I could manage more, but have not had the opportunity) quite comfortably.
- You will also love how your baby sits in the Ergo, rather than with the infant carriers where the weight is on their crotch.
The other thing about the Ergo that some find a con is that the baby cannot face outwards. I personally have not had a problem with this, but some Mums may find this a deciding factor. The fabric is not as wicking as the BABYBJÖRN, but then your baby does not sit quite as tightly against you in the Ergo. If this is an issue for you, the New Generation or Sport Ergo will be more suited to you, as the material is lighter.
Overall – ideally, if you can afford two baby carriers, then I think having both the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy and the Ergo Baby Carrier is the perfect answer. Though I would probably go for the New Generation Ergo Baby Carrier (I had the one before that) if I had to buy one now, it has longer straps to fit taller Dad, and lighter wicking fabric, also the sleeping hood is completely detachable.
If you cannot afford both BABYBJÖRN and the Ergo, then you need to think about when you are going to carry your baby most. Some people want to use a carrier only in the first few months, and after that are happy to manage with a stroller. In this case I would highly recommend the BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Synergy, however if you are going to want to wear your baby for a longer period of time i.e. up to a year or even two years, then I would recommend the New Generation Ergo Baby Carrier (also called the Ergo Baby Sport Carrier), all of which you can buy infant inserts for to use for your baby’s first months. The other more affordable solution would be to try and find one or both second hand, although personally I have always bought new.
If you want to read any further reviews on the
Good luck with all your baby wearing and I hope this review has helped you make the right decision for your baby and your personal situation.